Launch a Freelance Writing Career
This course will not only give you a look at everything you need to know to become a freelance writer, but when you finish, you will be ready to put what you learn into action to build a freelance writing career. Whether you would like to freelance on a full time basis, do it to supplement your current income, or learn freelance writing skills to get your product or service noticed, this is the place to start!
This course starts on Monday, March 24
Duration: 5-Days 7:00-8:00pm EST
Share this course:
Dana Sitar is an author, blogger, and digital publishing coach to entrepreneurial writers and writerly entrepreneurs. She shares resources, tips, and tools for budding writers through the DIY Writing community at WritersBucketList.com.
Lauren Tharp is the owner of LittleZotz Writing. She works as a freelance writer, helping small businesses bring their brands to life through written content. Lauren also helps fellow writers get started as freelancers through weekly blog articles, bi-monthly newsletters, free e-books, and one-on-one mentoring. For more about Lauren, as well as additional free resources, head to http://littlezotz.com/quistic/
Steph Auteri is a freelance writer and editor who specializes in sexual health content. At the moment, she is the Senior Writer and Editor for AASECT, a not-for-profit professional organization for sexologists, and the social media manager for another social services organization. She also nerds out about books on the Ploughshares blog, teaches yoga, and picks up other one-off writing and editing assignments as they come her way. She has remained firmly planted within her niche for almost 15 years, yet her career is always changing.
Kelly Gurnett runs the blog Cordelia Calls It Quits, where she documents her attempts to rid her life of the things that don’t matter and focus more on the things that do. She also appears in all these other places online. You can follow her on Twitter and Facebook and hire her services as a blogger extraordinaire here.
Watch classes wherever, whenever you want.
Your access never expires
DAY ONE: THE BASICS - CREATING A PATH FOR YOUR FREELANCE WRITING BUSINESS
With Lauren Tharp
This first session will focus on what freelance writing is, finding your first clients, and getting comfortable taking the plunge into your new career.
What You Will Learn:
- How to identify freelance writing opportunities. We will share how to nab your first clients; how to write amazing queries, pitches, and proposals (and what they are!); and the importance of having a well-defined writing contract.
- Successful methods high earning freelancers apply to their business. Find out exactly how to get taken seriously as a professional, even when you're just getting started -- we'll show you how to define what you do and gain the confidence to earn the rates you deserve.
- How to protect yourself from common freelance writing traps. Get acquainted with the warning signs that a potential client is up to no good. We'll go over common tricks, scams, and pitfalls to avoid.
- Busting the freelance writing myths. Hear why there's more to freelance writing than just writing -- and how ditching your byline can actually earn you more money.
DAY TWO--ONLINE MARKETING FOR FREELANCERS
With Dana Sitar
This session will focus on how you can use content and blogging to build your freelance business from the ground up.
What You Will Learn:
- How to leverage ebook publishing to find new clients. We will show you how freelancers across the web are using ebooks and other content materials to acquire new clients.
- Everything you need to know about blogging for freelance writers. Learn how to manage your blog and freelance writing business without burning out.
- Leverage email newsletters to build your community. Dana will share a first-hand account of how she leveraged email newsletter content to build a community of like-minded writers.
DAY THREE--FIND NEW CLIENTS BY CARVING A NICHE
With Stephanie Auteri
The freelance writing world is highly competitive. This session will show you how to differentiate yourself in a crowded market by finding your hyper niche. Hear real world examples of freelance writers that were able to build successful freelance careers by focusing their talents on a specific hyper-niche.
- How to find the perfect hyper-niche for your career.
- The secret to finding clients and building your portfolio from the ground up
- The keys to successfully pitching publications of any type. Tactical advice for pitching online outlet, as well as, regional, national and niche-specific print publications
- The importance of network and relationship-building for your business. Building relationships with your clients is one of the best ways to find new opportunities. Hear how Stephanie built solid relationships with her clients that led to larger consulting and publishing opportunities.
- Know when you need to make a pivot. Most freelance writers have to make significant pivots to avoid burn-out and remain fulfilled in their work. Learn how to know when its time to pivot and how to minimize risk when you are pursuing new ventures.
DAY FOUR--PERSONAL BRANDING FOR FREELANCE WRITERS
With Jessica Lawlor
No longer are freelance writers faceless names in the byline. The key to landing high-paying freelance gigs is developing a strong personal brand that grows your audience while attracting new clients.
What You Will Learn:
- The importance of personal branding. Learn why personal branding is so important for those looking for new freelance or career opportunities and how you can leverage your personal brand to find work.
- The secret to managing your personal brand. The secret to freelance success is approaching your personal brand with the same enthusiasm you would apply to client work. Get the secrets for managing your personal brand while building your freelance client base.
- Personal branding for social media. Jessica will share specific personal branding tactics for all of your social channels and show you how to leverage popular sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google+ and blogging to grow your business.
DAY FIVE--HOW NOT TO GO CRAZY WHEN YOU DECIDE TO GO FREELANCE.
With Kelly Gurnett
This session will focus on how you can transition from corporate life to full-time freelancer without losing your mind. Kelly will show you a low-risk way to approach your freelance writing career, and show you the steps she took to launch her own business.
What You Will Learn:
- Keep your day job and start a side hustle. Learn the beauty of having a trial period that will allow you to build financial security and find your creative freedom.
- Design a transition path that works for your life. Kelly will show you how to create a plan and line up new project that will keep you sane each step of the leap.
- Build a support community. One of the most important parts of being successfully self-employed is building a community that can support you in the many different phases of your business. Learn how writing communities and accountability buddies can be the secret to successful freelancing.